Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Inspired by Renaldi

A few days ago I was looking at dozens of photography blogs in order to get inspired for my last photo project of the semester, and I came across Richard Renaldi's blog. The more of his projects I looked at, the more I realized that I love his work! Touching Strangers is the project that I was really impressed with, concerning both quality and concept. Renaldi created these unique group portraints by finding two or more people who are strangers to each other, and posing them in a way that requires them to touch each other somehow.

This project is brilliant! The expressions on the strangers' faces are genuine; the subjects are transparent, and you can tell who is uncomfortable and who is warm and open. I'm fascinated with the fact that people can so easily and quickly interact if there is a "reason" to. The body language in each of the photos shows who is relaxed and comfortable with the idea of touching a stranger and who is uneasy.

I began this project yesterday, and have taken 5 portraits so far. My process is very much the same as Renaldi's: I meet at least two strangers, ask them if they would like to participate in my photographic project, and pose them before taking a small amount of photos. Typically, I don't allow time for introductions until after the photos are snapped - this allows everyone to remain interacting as strangers. After I've taken a few photos, I begin introductions and thank my subjects.

Here are the portraits I have taken so far!


Touching Strangers, A Continuation
Gabbie Hernandez-Webb
Denton, TX 2011

Seantay & Terry

David & Gwen


Kevin & Caleb

Victoria & Ben

Josh, Cody, & McCall


I'll be adding more photos to the blog later this weekend! Stay tuned!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...